Thursday, February 20, 2020

12A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

1. The segment that I have chosen are people who live either on campus or near campus as they are within the targeted demographic as well as are the most likely candidates to purchase such as product.

2. The first interview that I conducted proved to be unique in that this person who lives in a fraternity house, while having his own laundry system, decided to export his clothes to a dry cleaning service. Because of his parent's well-to-do financial state, he decided that he forgoes cleaning his clothes himself and instead deliberately chooses to dry clean his clothes. Because of this insight, I have found that there is unforeseen competition with services that pick up and deliver laundry. Perhaps this will extend the venture rather than hinder it. This service would not necessarily benefit him directly, but if added to the dry cleaning service, it may become an additional feature.

3. In the next interview I chose a student who lived in an off-campus house. At this location, these students did not pay for their laundry so incentivized use would not work, however this did pose an interesting alternate route when it comes to laundry facilities in the area as they use a payment system for their services. Despite this, the off-campus house retained interesting features such as an outdoor laundry room and led me to speculate that perhaps there may be glitches in the system when in contact with environmental forces. Although those at this house may use the product, they worry about how these external factors would effect it.

4. The third interview comes from another student who lives off campus who simply does not do laundry for long periods of time. This person simply does not see the value in the product as he does not consistently perform laundry duties. Although this may be an issue for my product, I find that this is much more of a personal issue of hygiene so I feel that perhaps with a stronger marketing push, disenfranchised users such as this one would conform to my service's efforts.

Although some of these interviews opened my eyes to new markets and users, I have also found that there is a lot more potential for my product's future success. If not for conducting these interviews, people at the margins may not be able to be reached as easily as I would have hoped. Thus, my product may extend its reach in a number of various ways in the future.

6 comments:

  1. Brandon,
    I think the segment you have chosen is great as the students who live in dorms and have communal laundry units, benefit from getting notifications of when their laundry will be done. I also think that expanding your target market to all people who have communal laundry units should be an idea that you should pursue in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon. I think the segment of people on or near campus definitely makes sense for your idea. It was good to interview very different people within the same segment to get the best idea of what that segment is about. I do think that this idea can expand to other segments. Your product that is more engaging is always something that I think will work with all sorts of people. It is important to engage your customers while also providing the service that they expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandon,
    I think the way you reflected your idea was really good. You were really self critical which will help you a lot in the process of developing snd improving your idea. I think your interviews were really interesting and I'm sure they helped you a lot on the way of creating your product and becoming a successful entrepreneur

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brandon,

    I really enjoyed your post. I've always lived off campus so this product isn't really one for me. My apartment comes with a washer and dryer and it's very simple. In order for your product to be successful you really need to incentivize on-campus students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brandon,
    The segment that you chose is a perfect one for you to target. This segment is large enough for your service to flourish and grow as more people will use it. The interviews that you conducted were very insightful for you as you gained valuable knowledge regarding the competition that your service will have and the problems you might encounter with more students that live off-campus. Marketing will help reach people that are not interested in the service because the repetition of seeing it offered will make them at least want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brandon,
    Although the interviews weren't ideal I believe that you have found out some useful information about who to target. The college student target segment is a pretty good one to stand by in the case of dealing with laundry. Every college student is looking for the fastest and most efficient way to do laundry so you have a product that could help in big ways.

    ReplyDelete