Thursday, February 6, 2020

7A: Testing the Hypothesis

1) The opportunity I would like to pursue deals with viewing the time it takes for a student's laundry to be completely done so that the student does not waste time by attempting to guess at the laundry's status.

2) Who: Students at universities.
     What: Find difficulty in determining how long it takes to complete laundry and correctly return
                to not waste time.
      Why: A majority of schools have archaic technology in place.

3) Testing the who: Other people who share the who may extend beyond universities towards many
     other citizens who do not have an advanced technological system to ensure that they know
     exactly when their laundry is completed.

     Testing the what: Can all machines be compatible with a new software? Will the technology
     suffice without advanced technology in the machines?
   
      Testing the why: Modern technology has not completely upgraded all aspects of society,
      especially simple machinery like laundry.

4) After interviewing 5 students at the University of Florida, the prototypical customers, I confirmed that my suspicions about the potential growth in the area of modern technological advancements in the school's present laundry system were in fact correct and justified. It appears that there is clearly a necessity for such an issue to be tackled through a more modern perspective on the matter rather than through circumventing back around to find no concrete resolution as satisfying. All participants in the interviews agreed that the need certainly exists, however their prime concern regarded integration into the system, yet if possible would prove to be immensely beneficial to their daily practices. I also found that the "who" would potentially extend to the faculty as well as some of those members too use the facilities on campus. Despite this, all members suspected that an application would in fact prove to not only useful, but profitable and worth the investment as it would surely be used often. In examining the "what" portion, I have found more questions than answers as technological experts were not within my grasp. A student from the Murphree Area commented that she felt that the payment system may not be as well grounded if not incentivized. Besides this, another resident from Graham Hall questioned the effectiveness of the application when compared to simple timers on his phone. Regardless of this possibility, I have found that I need to not only produce a viable product but convince my target audience that this is a valuable commodity. In testing the "why", many people did in fact agree that technology may not have caught up in other facets of machinery, however there was also information ascertained from the interviews that led to me question about whether or not the schools would have to be involved in the process or if this may be a third party venture. Clearly, there is a need here that is being unmet and so perhaps this application may alleviate those stressors.

5) From conducting the interviews with students around campus, I have now understood that new questions have arisen from the topic, leading me to wonder how to find the answers to these issues. I find that maybe through further research and understanding of school policies I may be able to find solutions to successfully integrate my product into the system . With this, I feel positively that this will be a successful addition to modern university culture.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brandon,
    I totally agree with the people you interviewed. I also think that the laundry rooms could be better, especially the payment. In my laundry room the thing for my card isn't working that good, so sometimes I have to swipe my card 10 times so that the device recognises it and the payment goes through... I wish they would fix that because that makes the whole laundry so annoying for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon,
    I think the opportunity that you are deciding to pursue is an innovative and good idea, especially for students. I have experienced this before many times and continue to run into the problem of not knowing exactly how much time is left on my laundry. Which you don’t want to leave your laundry too long in the washer after it finishes or else you’ll have to rewash it. The in-depth interviews you conducted have helped you learn more about your opportunity as well, which is one of the most important parts in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon,
    Your opportunity is great and I think it would work for many people. I think that your target could expand larger than students in universities. There are many people who do not have laundry units in their home and would benefit from this if they have communal laundry units. I think if you can get this to be compatible with all major machines then it would be a great progression.

    ReplyDelete